SUBNET’s DNP3 Protocol Training is an intensive course that covers all aspects of the DNP3 protocol. Learn the open standards-based protocol that serves as the communication link between substation computers, RTUs (Remote Terminal Units), IEDs (Intelligent Electronic Devices) and master stations. SUBNET Solutions Inc. offers a comprehensive two-day training course focused on the DNP3 protocol.
- Understand the DNP3 message structure
- Understand device polling
- Understand time synchronization and time-stamped events
- DNP Subsets for interoperability between multi-vendor devices
- Understand and troubleshoot DNP systems
- Learn the benefits and practical uses for the DNP3 protocol
To register for an upcoming DNP3 Protocol Training session, or to arrange for an onsite session.
Who should attend?
Typical participants include SCADA engineers, technicians and other persons responsible for evaluating or implementing substation architecture or HMI software, testing, implementing and troubleshooting substation communication devices.
- SCADA Engineers and Technicians
- Control System Technicians
- Communication & Relay Technicians
- System Engineers & Maintenance Personnel
- DNP3 history, benefits and an overview of the key features and capabilities of the protocol
- An introduction to OSI 7 protocol layering
- A review of Base 2 (binary) and Base 16 (hexadecimal) systems, and practice translating between these systems and Base 10
- An in-depth overview of DNP points and data, including binary and analog points, counters, event data, timestamps, classes and polls, and deadbands, and how these are portrayed in the DNP3 object library and polling schemes
- A review of DNP3 structure for serial communication and DNP3 over TCP/IP and UDP/IP
- A thorough breakdown of DNP message structure and layers with specific hands-on practice decoding DNP3 messages
- An overview of DNP3 Subset Definitions and Conformance Test procedure designed to promote “plug-and-play” interoperability between DNP3 devices
- A review of various DNP3 polling scheme options
- A discussion of DNP3 implementation on intelligent electronic devices
- A detailed look at DNP3 documentation, including the Implementation Table, Device Profile Document and Conformance Test Certification
- DNP3 learners workbook
- Subset level implementation table
- DNP3 object definition summary table
- Device polling document template
- DNP3 message structure dissemination document
- Hands-on practice activities
- Certificate upon successful completion of course
The DNP3 Protocol Training course is open to all levels of experience. Attendees should have a basic understanding of RTUs, IEDs and general substation devices. No prior understanding of the DNP3 protocol is required.